Monday, June 4, 2012

KarenLee Caviar

I'm pretty sure this family favorite did not originate with KarenLee,  but I don't actually know who started it. Anyway, it just doesn't have the same ring to call it Jamie Caviar. I did also learn about it from KarenLee,  so if you are offended by the name ... get over it :)
This is a great appetizer slash movie night slash game night slash bbq chip dip. I promise you,  it is good.  Never met a soul who didn't want to eat the whole bowl.  Maybe that's why I don't bring it to parties ... because I want to eat the whole bowl.  Sometimes I share with my husband.  He normally waits patiently while I scarf to my hearts content.  When I eventually realize that he is watching the juice drip down my chin while chip crumbs fly out of the sides of my mouth,  instead of the movie,  I reluctantly hand to bowl over.  I don't usually get it back. I suppose if I made two bowls we could avoid this problem?
I actually just finished a bowl while sitting here typing.  I have more chips but no more dip... I keep looking in the bowl to make sure it really is gone.  It is.  Darn.  I guess I'll take a picture next time I make it.
This can also be wrapped up in a warm tortilla with cabbage and cilantro for a yummy lunch,  or as a salad, with our without lettuce.  If you serve with lettuce though you may need a bit more dressing,  maybe 1.5 to 2 times more.

Anyway,  this is my version of the amazingly delicious stuff.  I'm sure there are lots of ways to mess with it but I don't recommend it,  it is perfect just the way it it is... if I do say so myself...

Ingredients

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can can corn, drained
4 roma tomatoes,  diced  (I also remove the guts.  Is there a technical term for this?  Is de-gutting always assumed when you dice a tomato?  I have never known the answer to this.  Well either way,  this is definitely a de-gutted tomato recipe)
2 perfectly ripe avocados, diced
1 packet Italian dressing (I know, weird. Someday I'll get around to figuring out what is actually in this mystery packet and make it myself.  For now just close your eyes and do it anyway,  you'll thank me when you are eating it)
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil 
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I rarely use garlic powder,  but I only wanted a tiny kick of garlic,  I like the other flavors to shine)

Sea Salt, as desired 

Making It 

Combine beans, corn and tomatoes in a serving bowl.  Separately, mix dressing packet,  vinegar, oil and garlic in a jar with a tight lid.  Shake well.  Pour dressing into the bowl and stir to combine.  Add salt if you will be serving with tortillas or as a salad.  If you are serving with salted tortilla chips you can skip the salt.  Finally,  add the avocados and stir in gently,  try not to squash them.  They taste so much better ripe (not overripe) but they do tend to make a mess of themselves if you are not careful.   I like to give it just a bit of a chill so I stick it in the fridge for a few minutes.  If you make it ahead  be sure to skip the avocado and add it in about 20 minutes before serving.


Enjoy!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment